I’m watching TED videos on my Apple TV while browsing the web with Em sleeping on the couch beside me. I just finished Garrett Lisi’s talk titled “A beautiful new theory of everything.” Here are a few very brief notes:
- Quantum Mechanics: “Everything that can happen, does.”
- the beauty of particle physics (ie the really little stuff)
- E8 pattern (and to think, I was told plum pudding was stupid)
- “a process of discovery” (I appreciate this perspective of science, esp. theoretical science)
- new physics theories = start-up company
- elementary particle physics (seems like an even smaller sect of particle physics)
- dislikes string theory (too bad, I’ve always been a fan)
- quantum field theory (reason to abandon string theory)
- “evoking a sense of wonder”
My notes don’t make for a very interesting blog post, but it’s like candy for someone with Input.
I absolutely love this stuff!